A custom designed shed is a great investment for your farm, but it can be difficult to decide when the time is right to build one. Even with the easy Shed Boss Complete Project service, where we undertake the construction and approvals from start to finish, you may not be sure when the budget has room for it.
However, as part of the drought package announced by the Federal Government, primary producers can now immediately deduct the cost of fodder storage sheds for hay, grain or other livestock feeds to help you to better drought-proof your property and make it easier for you to store, stockpile and invest in fodder.
This initiative complements the $20,000 instant asset write-off already available for small businesses.
Unlike the write-off for small businesses, there is no dollar cap on the cost of fodder storage sheds that can be instantly depreciated.
Types of Fodder Sheds
When it comes to all things sheds, there’s no one size that fits all.
At Shed Boss, we custom design every building - there’s no limitation of having to choose a building size from a list of “standard shed dimensions”.
When you ask us for a quote, we’ll take the time to understand how you will be using the shed, and exactly where on the property it’s being built.
We take into account everything you’ve thought of and a lot of what you haven’t
- Where’s the prevailing wind coming from? This affects the design wind speed and structural members of the building.
- What’s Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) of your property? This is a means of measuring the severity of your sheds’ potential exposure to ember attack, radiant heat, and direct flame contact. More than 75 towns in the Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island are in bushfire prone areas. Your BAL will determine what essential safety provisions are required for the design and build.
- Do you need a concrete floor, or will it be built on footings only? This will determine the depth of the footings.
- What’s the size of the hay bales you will be storing? This will determine the most efficient bay design (e.g. up to 6m) and the overall height clearance (known as a daylight opening).
- Will you be storing grain feed inside the shed? Then we can enclose bays with a concrete floor, tightly sealed roller doors and vermin flashing to keep out the mice.
- Are you considering solar panels? We’ll design the shed with an optimal roof pitch and engineering for the solar panel weight on the roof (known as a dead load).
- Are you going to capture the rainfall from your shed roof? This will determine where we fit the downpipes.
- Your shed will be with you for many years. Your needs today might be vastly different from your needs tomorrow. What are your plans for the future? Do you need room for machinery? Maybe you’ll need workshop space or storage space in the future. Have you considered all the outcomes?
The Shed Boss Difference
We don’t just sell you a bunch of steel and leave you with the hassle of erecting yourself. Leave it to us, as an expert builder to take care of the whole project for you – from Council approvals to completion
From start to finish, Shed Boss Fleurieu will work with your plans and strive to create exactly what you want. With the freedom afforded by land prices, potential depreciation benefits, and low-interest rates, now could be the perfect time to invest in new fodder sheds. Whatever the dream, let us help you create it.
Disclaimer: This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal or accounting advice. You should seek personal financial advice before making any financial or investment decisions.